Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Engaging auto-destruct in 5...4...3...

These are some of the worst things anyone can say in a round of debate. The TP topic deals with policy toward India. LD is idealism (affirmative) versus pragmatism (negative). Let's break it down, shall we?

Team Policy

Affirmative

"Our plan works in theory."

"Barack Obama is enacting our plan even as we speak."

"Death is only a problem in some instances."

"The negative has failed to impact their thermonuclear war disadvantage. Why is this a problem?"

"Our plan harnesses the power of global warming..."

Negative

"Saving babies is irrelevant to this round."

"Personally, I think this is a great idea, but..."

"We don't actually have any evidence."

"Human trafficking? How is this even a harm?"

"I'd like to address the affirmative's definitions..."

Lincoln-Douglas

Affirmative

"Hitler was an idealist."

"Sometimes we have to ignore reality."

"I don't understand what the negative just said."

"I'd like to quote Josef Stalin..."

"Well, yes, we sometimes have to compromise our values..."

Negative

"Hitler was a pragmatist."

"Human rights don't matter that much."

"Progress is the highest value."

"I'd like to quote Nietzsche..."

"Pragmatism is basically the same as practicality."

General Debate Potpourri

"What have the starving children done for us lately, eh?"

"Ignore the arguments for a minute."

"My opponent is unworthy of consideration because she is short."

"You face a choice at the end of this round: agree with me or be eaten by the wolves."

“I don’t have the burden of proof with me…”

“I can’t quote that evidence because it is resting.”

“My source is a professor of botany.”

“My partner is wrong.”

“My evidence, as you can see, is open to interpretation.”

“Although I don’t have evidence for this point…”

“There’s nothing wrong with Wikipedia.”

“If I were me, I’d lie in this situation.”

(On CX) “Did you mean to write that case?”

“Wait. I’m on which side?”

(On CX) “Was that a question?”—“If that was an answer.”

“I plead the Fifth.”

“Hold on. I meant to say the opposite.”

“According to the following blog…”

“Can we try a different case?”

“Well, as you can see our case is perfect…”

“Well, we never said our case was perfect…”

“There are worse things than nuclear war.”

(On CX) “What’s topicality?”

“The Constitution was a generally good idea, but shouldn't we get over it?”

“People are worth $367.57 a piece.”

“In the wise words of Rosie O’Donnelll…’

“I saw our plan in a movie once and it worked great. I think it was a Tom Clancy…”

“Our case is similar to what the Soviet Union did in 1924…”

“The affirmative case is horrible because it might cause a spike in the cute bunny population.”


"The other side has won only four of the five stock issues. Unaddressed thoughout the round has been the importance of pity toward us..."

No comments:

Post a Comment